The Shira Route is a relatively gentle and incredibly scenic route to the Rooftop of Africa (“Uhuru Peak” Uhuru a Swahili word which means Liberation). Encompassing the Shira Plateau, this route provides breathtaking views of the African landscape below. Finally, the Western Breach Summit path is a more difficult route to the summit which incorporates some serious scrambling and climbing. It is thus generally favored by those individuals looking to add a bit of an extra challenge to their climbing experience.
Arrival Day in either Arusha or Moshi
On arrival, you are personally met at the airport by one of our representatives and transferred to your chosen hotel in Arusha or Moshi. In the afternoon there is a full briefing with the climbs manager and your guide. Dinner is included.
Day 2: Early in the morning after breakfast, you will be briefed about Mount Kilimanjaro with the guide before we depart for the Londorossi gate taking about three and half hours. After all park registration formalities we driving to the nearby Simba campsite. After lunch, we start trekking through heather and moorland to the first camp (about 1-2 hrs) to Shira 1 camp (3505 m) for dinner and spending the night in tents.
Day 3: After breakfast, we continue walking towards the Shira Hut for lunch 3926 m. The day is spent acclimatizing. A visit can be made to the Plats Cone on the ridge. Dinner and overnight at the campsite.
Day 4: In the morning after breakfast we continue to the east passing the junction towards the peak of Kibo. As we continue, our direction changes to the southeast towards the Lava Tower. Shortly after reaching the tower, we come to the second junction which divides away to Arrow Glacier and Barranco. We have now reached an altitude of (4876 m). We now continue down to the Barranco hut at an altitude of (3860 m). Dinner and camp overnight.
Day 5: Barranco Hut (3950 m) to Karanga Valley Camp (4200 m). The morning starts with a scramble up the almost vertical Barranco Wall to an altitude of about 4 200m. After lunch, we encourage you to take a rest at this point. Dinner and camp overnight.
Day 6: Karanga Valley (4200 m) to Barafu Hut (4600 m). From here there is no water, so we take care to stock up as there is no water at Barafu Hut. We recommended that all climbers familiarize themselves with the camp before dark because the camp is situated on an exposed and dangerous ridge.
Day 7: An early start for the ascent to the rim of the Kibo Crater between the Rebmann and Ratzel Glaciers, four hours from here. A further hour leads to Uhuru Peak (5985 m). Descent is via Barafu Hut for a rest and lunch before we continue on down to camp at Mweka Hut.
Day 8: After breakfast, we continue the descent (3-4 hours) down to the Mweka Park Gate and then drive back to your hotel for celebrations.
Day 9: Arusha or Moshi
Departure day. If you would like to book additional nights please inform us as early as possible. We will arrange for you to be transferred to the airport or you may join a Lyimo Expeditions safari and continue your holiday with us and visit the world-famous game parks of Tanzania
|Number of Travelers in Group Discount||Cost Per Traveler in the US($) Mid Range Package||Cost Per Traveler in US($) VIP (Luxury) Package|
|10 People and above||1,900||4,000|
The Trip Cost Includes
- Airport transfers
- Kilimanjaro National Park entrance, camping/hut, and rescue fees
- 2 – nights Accommodations on BB
- Professional Up to date wilderness first responder trained guide or equivalent Assistance Guide
- Gamow bag (portable hyperbaric chamber)
- Emergency oxygen
- Expedition medical kit
- Pulse oximeter
- Comprehensive vital sign monitoring
- 2 Way Radio
- Mobile phone
- 3 person expedition tents (2 clients/tent)
- Mountaineering mattress
- Lightweight mess tent
- Expeditions walk-in mess tent
- Lightweight aluminum table
- Luxury chair with backrest
- Portable tented private flush toilet
- Medical evacuations with AMREF Flying doctors
- Purified water while on the mountain
- Return transfer Arusha/Arusha hotel to Park Gate
- Wine and Champagne on the summit
- Large portions of fresh, healthy, nutritious food
- Fair and ethical treatment of porters
- Salary for the porters
- Salary for the Guides
- Salary for the Cooks
- Government taxes
- VAT 18% on park entrance fees
- Hot steamy towel on the camp
- Bowl of hot washing water in the morning and evening
- Shower/wash tent
The Trip Cost Excludes
- International airfare
- Excess baggage charges
- Costs of visas
- Personal expenses such as beverages (other than those included with meals, as listed in each itinerary)
- Room service
- Communication charges
- Medical or extra evacuation fees
- Staff gratuities
- Personal trekking equipment
- Additional transportation
- Meals incurred by a client unable to continue a planned itinerary due to illness
- Medical conditions or due to airline schedule changes